Monday, September 1, 2014

Show Off -The Drowsy Chaperone

I've been meaning to post this one for a while. In this role that earned Sutton Foster yet another well-deserved Tony nomination, she plays a diva, who announces to the world that she's quitting Show business. The dance number has been cut for obvious reasons (to fit in the 5 minute maximum). Technically this is a "Group" number, but if you skip the "REPORTERS" parts, it works nicely as a Solo.
Here are the lyrics:

JANET
I don't wanna show off no more.
I don't wanna sing tunes no more.
I don't wanna ride moons no more.
I don't wanna show off.

I don't wanna wear this no more.
Play the saucy "Swiss miss" no more.
Blow my signature *kiss* no more.
I don't wanna show off.

Don't try to control me, 
I've made up my mind.
And that's it. I quit.
I'm leaving it all behind.
I don't wanna be cute no more
Make the gentlemen hoot no me
I don't wanna wear fruit no more.
I don't wanna show off

REPORTERS
She don't wanna show off no more.

JANET
[spoken] Not me!

REPORTERS
Read her name in the news no more.

JANET
[spoken] Page three!

REPORTERS
Get the glowing reviews no more.

JANET
Aww Gee, I don't wanna show off.
REPORTERS
She don't wanna show off no more, 
off no more, off no more, off no more!!!

JANET
Please no more attention
I've counted to ten!
And I'm through
Adieu!
You'll never see this!
You'll never see this!
Never see this!
Never see that!
Never see these again!

I don't wanna change keys no more!
I don't wanna strip tease no more!
I don't wanna say "Cheese" no more!
I don't care if you scoff

I don't wanna be cheered no more
praised no more
grabbed no more
touched no more
loved no more
I don't wanna show off
I don't wanna show off
I don't wanna show off
I don't wanna show OFF!
No more


No comments:

Post a Comment