Monday, September 22, 2014

I Won't Send Roses -Mack & Mabel

Here's a gorgeous song for the gentlemen. Ladies, feel free to sing it too, I know I will! This one's from Jerry Herman's 1974 musical Mack and Mabel. In this number Mack is warning Mabel that he won't send her roses, or in other words, be very a very gentlemanly boyfriend to her. You get the sense that Mack knows he's flawed, but really wants to be that kind of man for Mabel. I find this number beautiful and heartfelt, especially when sung by Michael Feinstein or John Barrowman (that's Capt. Jack Harkness for you Whovians out there). The original version is by Robert Preston. I can't wait to here your version!
Here are the lyrics:


I won't send roses
Or hold the door
I won't remember
Which dress you wore
My heart is too much in control
The lack of romance in my soul
Will turn you grey, kid
So stay away, kid

Forget my shoulder
When you're in need
Forgetting birthdays
Is guaranteed
And should I love you, you would be
The last to know
I won't send roses
And roses suit you so

My pace is frantic
My temper's cross
With words romantic
I'm at a loss
I'd be the first one to agree
That I'm preoccupied with me
And it's inbred, kid
So keep your head, kid

In me you'll find things
Like guts and nerve
But not the kind of things
That you deserve
And so while there's a fighting chance
Just turn and go
I won't send roses
And roses suit you so.

Here is John Barrowman (the handsome Captain Jack) singing this number:


No comments:

Post a Comment