Monday, September 15, 2014

I Am What I Am -La Cage Aux Folles

I recently re-watched the 1996 movie The Birdcage, starring the late Robin Williams and Nathan Lane, and I was inspired to post this one today. The Birdcage is an adaptation of the French film La Cage aux Folles, which was made into a Broadway musical in 1973 by Harvey Fierstein and Jerry Herman. I invite you all to check out the movie, which is available on Netflix instant, if you want a good laugh. It's honestly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. For those that don't know, it's the story of a couple, Georges and Albin who own and star in (respectively) a drag night club in St. Tropez. The couple's son, Jean-Michel, is bringing home his fiancee and her very conservative parents for the first time to meet his parents. What follows is a hilarious cover-up dinner where Albin poses as Jean-Michel's mother and hilarity ensues. In the end, they come clean and Albin sings this ever-famous ballad, reaffirming who he is. It's a really great song that invites everyone to embrace their true selves. So, I invite you all to sing and let me know who you are!
Here are the lyrics:

I am what I am, 
I am my own special creation
So come take a look, 
give me the hook or the ovation
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in
My world and it's not a place I have to hide in
Life's not worth a damn 
'til you can say
Hey world, I am what I am

I am what I am, 
I don't want praise, 
I don't want pity
I bang my own drum 
Some think it's noise 
I think it's pretty
And so what if I love each sparkle and each bangle
Why not try to see things from a different angle
Your life is a sham 
'til you can shout out loud
I am what I am

I am what I am 
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck 
sometimes the ace, sometimes the deuces
There's one life and it's no return and no deposit
One life, so it's time to open up your closet
Life's not worth a damn 'til you shout
Hey world, I am what I am

Check out Tony and Olivier winner Douglas Hodge, kicking butt in this song, from the 2010 revival:


No comments:

Post a Comment