Sunday, December 14, 2014

Morning Person -Shrek the Musical

Here's a fun one for you Sutton Foster fans. This one's from Shrek the Musical which I must admit was a show I was initially skeptical about (as I am with most any musical adaptation of a movie, Disney movie or jukebox musical). However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. For those of you who have Netflix, you can actually watch a recorded performance of this show which is pretty excellent. In this number Princess Fiona sings about how optimistic she is, now having been saved from the fire-breathing dragon, as she is about to meet her husband-to-be. Needless to say, Sutton plays it brilliantly, with the perfect blend of physical comedy, kickass tap-dancing, and vocal chops to bring any house down. So please sing as Fiona! I sang the roles of the little birds and there is some dialogue in there with the Pied Piper. Have fun!
Here are the lyrics:

Good morning, birds, good morning, trees
Oh, what a lovely day?
The sun's so big, it hurts my eyes
But really that's okay

A brand new day with things to do
So many plans to make
I've had six cups of coffee
So I'm really wide awake!

I've always been a morning person
A morning girl, hurray


LITTLE BIRD: Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep
Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep

FIONA: hurray
LITTLE BIRD: Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep
Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep 
FIONA: hurray
LITTLE BIRD: Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep
Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep!

FIONA: hurraaayyy!!!

[BIRD EXPLODES!]

FIONA: Good morning, deer
Say, have you heard today's my wedding day?
I haven't met my husband yet
But I'm hopeful anyway

I'll wear a gown, we'll have a ball
And dance for ever more
He'll take me in his massive arms
And spin me around the floor

I've always been a morning person
A morning girl, hurray!


[DIALOGUE]
FIONA: Why good morning, Pied Piper!

PIPER: Bah! What's so good about it? I can't get these 
rats to follow me

FIONA: Well, I think you may need to change your tune, mister

PIPER: Hey! give me my flute back! Hey!

[DANCE BREAK]

[SINGING]
FIONA:
A brand new start, a pallet cleanse
As fresh as lime sorbet
Last night I was a monster but this morning, this morning
This morning I'm okay, this morning I'm okay!!!



Here's Sutton in this number as Fiona. I'm so jealous of her skills:
(Sorry for the quality, but for a better video, check out Shrek the Musical on Netflix)

No comments:

Post a Comment